U.S. President Donald Trump and French President Emmanuel Macron discussed this Friday, Aug. 7, immediate aid to be sent to Lebanon, the White House said in a statement quoted by Reuters.
The two leaders spoke by phone and "expressed their deep sadness at the loss of life and devastation in Beirut," White House spokesman Judd Deere said in a statement.
Tuesday's massive explosion in the port of Beirut killed 154 people, injured 5.000, and destroyed a strip of the city.
France and other countries sent emergency aid to Lebanon, which included health professionals and equipment, as well as food. So far the United States has yet to provide any assistance. Donald Trump praised this week that Washington is ready to help, but no details about U.S. aid have been released.
On Thursday, Emannuel Macron visited Beirut and assured that aid to rebuild the city would not stop "corrupt hands".
The cause of the explosion remains unresolved and Lebanese President Michel Aouna pointed out this Friday that the investigation was going to assess whether the explosion was caused by a bomb, a prospect suggested by Trump on Tuesday, hours after the explosion. Asked about the issue again on Wednesday, Trump said no one could say for sure whether the explosion could have been caused by an attack.
The United States is one of the few countries that has not yet defined aid for Lebanon. On August 5, Portugal expressed its willingness to send 42 operatives, in a team composed of operatives from Civil Protection, GNR, INEM and the Lisbon Firefighters Regiment, according to the Lusa agency.