Fires: Civil Protection warns the population for maximum risk on Thursday and Friday

The National Authority for Emergency and Civil Protection (ANEPC) issued this Wednesday a warning to the population about the very high risk of fires in the next two days, recalling that it is forbidden to be in forest spaces.

In a statement, ANEPC states that there is a maximum / very high risk of fires in the Algarve, in the Vale do Tejo region and in the Center and North regions, with worsening on Thursday in the interior of the North and Center and in the Algarve / lower Alentejo.

And he recalls, according to the declaration of the situation of alert issued today by the Government that goes into effect at midnight today and lasts the days of Thursday and Friday, that “access, circulation and permanence inside the spaces are prohibited forest, previously defined in the municipal plans for the protection of the forest against fires, as well as in forest paths, rural paths and other paths that cross them ”.

As it is also forbidden to make fires, use fireworks or work in forest areas.

Citing the Portuguese Institute of the Sea and the Atmosphere (IPMA), ANEPC says that the forecasts for the next two days are dry weather inland, and sometimes strong wind (gusts up to 60 kilometers per hour) in addition to low relative humidity donate.

Maximum indoor temperatures can go up to 43 ° C on Thursday, with a slight drop on Friday.

The commander of ANEPC, Duarte Costa, had already alerted this afternoon, in a press conference, to the worsening of meteorological conditions in the next two days, when there will be “a very high availability of all operational response forces” to fires , in addition to a very high “predisposition for surveillance actions”.

Duarte Costa asked the Portuguese for “preventive behavior” and “active citizenship”, because “fire is not an option”.

The official said that these messages have reached the Portuguese, who have been careful, and added that fires that occurred today (94 occurrences until 19:00) were due to behaviors associated with the use of fire.

Mainland Portugal will be on alert from 00:00 on Thursday, and until the 07th, in view of the forecast of "a significant increase in the risk of rural fire", the Government announced today.

In a statement, the Ministry of Internal Administration specifies that the alert situation lasts until 23:59 pm on August 07 in the entire territory of mainland Portugal.

The declaration follows the activation of the special red alert status for the districts of Bragança, Guarda, Vila Real, Beja, Castelo Branco, Faro and Viseu.

In the statement, MAI said that the districts Aveiro, Braga, Coimbra, Évora, Leiria, Portalegre, Porto, Santarém and Viana do Castelo will be in a special state of alert at orange level and Lisbon and Setúbal at yellow level.

The declaration of an alert situation implies an increase in the level of readiness and operational response by GNR and PSP, medical emergency teams, public health and psychosocial support and the permanent mobilization of teams of forest sappers and the National Body of Forest Agents and Nature Watchers.

Read more
Recommended

Portugal registers 552 more cases and 13 deaths by Covid-19

Since the beginning of the pandemic, the country has registered 68.577 confirmed cases of the disease caused by the new coronavirus, according to the epidemiological bulletin of the Directorate-General for Health.

Over 1 million people have downloaded the Covid Stayaway app

“We are very satisfied, even though I am not exactly surprised. The application is an aid to the Portuguese population, but the remaining five million Portuguese [who have 'smartphones'] are still missing ”, said Rui Oliveira, INESC TEC administrator.

Loures cancels 2021 carnival celebrations

Due to the pandemic, the carnival corsesses of Estarreja, Ovar, Mealhada, Figueira da Foz and Torres Vedras have also been canceled.
Comments