Donald Trump says he will ban Chinese social network TikTok in the United States

“I have that authority. I can do it with an executive order ”, underlined the American President.

The President of the United States, Donald Trump, has announced that he will ban the Chinese social network TikTok in the country, for national security reasons.

"As for TikTok, we are going to ban it in the United States," Trump told reporters on board the presidential plane bound for Washington from Tampa, Florida.

“I have that authority. I can do it with an executive order ”, underlined the President.

Earlier this month, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had already suggested that the Government was considering restricting access to TikTok on American soil, given the possibility that Beijing is using the social network as a means of monitoring and distribution of advertising.

TikTok is a social network developed by ByteDance, based in Beijing, in which short videos are shared, with great success among teenagers, but, at the same time, raises great doubts about the security of user data and links with the Chinese Communist Party.

In addition to the trade war between the two countries, tension between the United States and China has increased in recent months, fueled by the new coronavirus pandemic, even leading to the closure of embassies.

Read more
Recommended

Portugal grants moratorium to Cape Verde and São Tomé and Príncipe on direct loans

The adoption of this measure of suspension of the payment of principal and interest will determine a negotiation, until September, of moratorium agreements with these two African countries with Portuguese as an official language, and the establishment of a new plan and conditions for loans, the Government says.

Elections: Donald Trump expected to give acceptance speech from the White House

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that he is considering giving his candidacy acceptance speech at the Republican Party convention for a second term from the White House.

Portugal available to send 42 operatives to Lebanon

Portugal said on Wednesday it was willing to send 42 operatives from a joint force to Lebanon to assist local authorities in the wake of the two explosions that rocked Beirut on Tuesday.
Comments