New bus attack kills two in central Mozambique

An armed attack on a column of four passenger buses escorted by police in central Mozambique left two dead and eight injured.

An armed attack on a column of four passenger buses escorted by police in central Mozambique on Sunday left two dead and eight injured, passengers and health officials told Lusa.

The buses were shot in the same area as the national road No. 1 (EN1), where on Thursday another two attacks targeted three buses, causing seven injuries at the time.

“When we heard the shots, I leaned over to hide and did not know that my husband had been hit. I only found out because there was a lot of blood in our seat ”, she explained to Lusa Madalena Escrivão, who lost her husband in the attack.

In addition to this victim, Rachid Engenheiro, director of the emergency department of the provincial hospital of Chimoio, confirmed to Lusa a second death, of a passenger who had been transferred to that unit.

The attack took place along the line between the districts of Gorongosa and Nhamatanda, in Sofala province and the buses were destined for the cities of Nampula and Quelimane, from Beira and Maputo.

According to the reports of other passengers, the snipers were hiding in the woods, next to the bridge over the Pungwe River and they let off a blast of fire on the vehicles, which always continued in progress until the health center of the village in the Gorongosa district .

The Police of the Republic of Mozambique (PRM) confirmed the occurrence and forwarded more information to Monday.

The attacks follow on from others on roads and settlements in the provinces of Manica and Sofala, where dissident guerrillas of the Mozambican National Resistance (Renamo, main opposition party), led by Mariano Nhongo, from the self-proclaimed Renamo Military Junta, walk.

Read more
Recommended

European Council decides not to close borders between Member States

Leaders decided at the European Council that the borders between Member States will not be closed due to the response to the second wave of the Covid-19 pandemic.

France to spend 15 billion euros on containment measures to contain new coronavirus

"We are going to reinforce all aid devices," said the government official, specifying that six billion refer to solidarity funds, seven billion to partial unemployment (the so-called 'lay-off'), more than one billion to social security exemptions. and so much to assume costs of rental companies.

Infographics | Trump gains some ground in popular vote

The campaign enters the final stretch and the Republican gains ground, albeit slight, in the intentions of the popular vote for the presidential candidates. In the average of national polls, Trump is at 42,9%, or 8,9 percentage points behind Biden, compared to 9,5 points two days ago. In high school voting, all the same, with Biden leading with 232 votes, against Trump's 125, and 181 undefined.
Comments