New outbreak in a home in the municipality of Fundão with 30 infected

According to the statement, users who tested positive are asymptomatic and do not inspire special health care are in an area separate from other users.

José Coelho / Lusa

Thirty people from the nursing home of the Parish Social Welfare Center of Valverde, in Fundão, tested positive for the new coronavirus, this being the second outbreak in homes in that municipality, the local authority said today.

In a joint statement, that municipality in the district of Castelo Branco and the Social Center of Valverde specify that, "today" [Saturday], that structure has 22 users and eight infected employees.

According to the statement, users who tested positive are asymptomatic and do not inspire special health care are in an area separate from other users.

The information explains that the home contingency plan has been activated and that the building is being fully disinfected.

It is also specified that all users and employees have already tested and that all contact networks of people who have tested positive are being tracked.

In Fundão, there is also an active outbreak in the Lar da Santa Casa da Misericórdia, which was identified earlier in the week and which, according to the testing carried out on all employees, affects 55 people: 38 elderly people and 17 workers.

In this case, users who had a negative test were transferred to a hotel in the city, while the rest remain in the home building, which was also disinfected.

In addition to the outbreaks in the two homes, there are also 18 infected people in the community, so, according to municipal data, the county records this Saturday a total of 103 active cases.

The covid-19 pandemic has already claimed more than 1,1 million deaths and more than 45,6 million cases of infection worldwide, according to a report made by the French agency AFP.

In Portugal, 2.468 people died from 137.272 confirmed cases of infection, according to the most recent bulletin from the Directorate-General for Health.

The disease is transmitted by a new coronavirus detected in late December 2019 in Wuhan, a city in central China.

Read more
Recommended

Marcelo evokes Eduardo Lourenço as the “most outstanding public intellectual”

The President of the Republic said of Eduardo Lourenço that among "all Portuguese intellectuals of his stature, no other was so oblivious to haughtiness, self-satisfaction, intellectual disdain, and disinterest for the following generations".

Costa announces mourning on Wednesday over Eduardo Lourenço's death

The essayist Eduardo Lourenço was Grand Officer of the Military Order of Sant'Iago da Espada, of which he also owned the Grand Cross, as well as of the Order of Infante D. Henrique and the Order of Liberty.

António Costa highlights Eduardo Lourenço as “comrade” with whom he learned a lot

The Prime Minister lamented the death of Eduardo Lourenço and also underlined the importance of Eduardo Lourenço in reflecting on “the factors of national timelessness”, highlighting the book “Labirinto da Saudade”, “certainly one of the most notable essays in Portuguese essay.”
Comments