Over 1 million people have downloaded the Covid Stayaway app

“We are very satisfied, even though I am not exactly surprised. The application is an aid to the Portuguese population, but the remaining five million Portuguese [who have 'smartphones'] are still missing ”, said Rui Oliveira, INESC TEC administrator.

INESC TEC

The 'StayAway Covid' screening application has already been downloaded by more than one million people, nineteen days after its launch, the administrator of the Institute of Systems and Computers Engineering, Technology and Science (INESC TEC) announced this Sunday.

Speaking to the agency Lusa, Rui Oliveira said that the application had a total of 1.030.824 'downloads' on iOS and Android operating systems today. “We are very satisfied, even though I am not exactly surprised. The application is an aid to the Portuguese population, but the remaining five million Portuguese [who have 'smartphones'] are still missing ”, he said.

The mobile application, launched on September 01, allows to track, quickly and anonymously and through the physical proximity between 'smartphones', the contagion networks by covid-19, informing users that they have been, in the last 14 days, in the same space as someone infected with the new coronavirus. Its installation is voluntary.

According to the administrator of the Porto institute, interactions in the application continue, with "several dozen" doctors already generating codes.

To Lusa, on September 08, the President of the Shared Services of the Ministry of Health (SPMS) said that the SNS 24 line had already received 20 calls from people who, through the application, were informed that they had been in contact with someone infected.

“There were 20 people who, since the beginning of the project, called SNS 24, saying that the application notified them that they had had a risky contact,” said Luís Goes Pinheiro, adding that, this week, nine patients had introduced the application code that allows you to alert the people you have been with in the previous 14 days.

On the day the application was launched, the Prime Minister, António Costa considered that installing the 'Stayaway Covid' application on mobile phones is a “civic duty” to stop the pandemic until a vaccine exists.

"Understand that it is a civic duty to download this application and signal if they come to be diagnosed as testing positive," said António Costa, at the ceremony attended by the Minister of Health, Marta Temido.

However, consumer protection organization Deco Proteste has placed reservations on installing this application on mobile phones, invoking the possibility of undeclared and misuse of personal data by Google and Apple.

The covid-19 pandemic has already claimed at least 953.025 deaths and more than 30,5 million cases of infection in 196 countries and territories, according to a report by the French agency AFP. In Portugal, 1.899 people died from 68.025 confirmed cases of infection, according to the most recent bulletin from the Directorate-General for Health.

Read more
Recommended

Portugal registers 4.007 more cases and 39 deaths by Covid-19 in the last 24 hours

Health officials have registered 2.831 more hikes in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of people free from the virus to 80.280.

New outbreak in a home in the municipality of Fundão with 30 infected

According to the statement, users who tested positive are asymptomatic and do not inspire special health care are in an area separate from other users.

ASAE seizes textile items worth 100 euros in Vila do Conde

The target of the investigation “also proceeded to its individual packaging and already placed the respective price tags on the outer carton, with a 'layout' identical to the original”, states the ASAE.
Comments