More than seven thousand contracts were canceled or not renewed in Macau from February to May, officials said today.
Since the economic impact was felt in Macau, in particular with the temporary closure of casinos in February, and until May, 2.141 employment permits for non-resident workers were canceled, ”said the Directorate of Services for Labor Affairs (DSAL) ), in response to Lusa.
On the other hand, said DSAL, “a total of 5.064 employment permits have not been renewed”, despite the fact that the Government has decided to use 38,95 billion patacas (4,5 billion euros) from the special reserve to respond the economic impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Between February and May, DSAL recalled, according to data released on Friday by the Public Security Police, there was a reduction of 2.103 non-resident workers in the territory.
DSAL also justified that "the basic principle of the Government's labor import policy is to ensure that the priority employment of local workers and labor rights are not damaged".
The hiring of non-local labor “only complements local human resources”, he stressed.
The Macau authorities added that they had received 49 complaints involving 55 non-resident workers who had their contracts canceled or not renewed.
"If violations of labor laws and regulations are found", he stressed, the Government will "follow up in accordance with the law to protect the legitimate rights and interests of employees".
In February, Macao put forward a series of measures to contain the pandemic: it sent workers home, it ordered the casinos to be closed for at least 15 days, something that led to an almost complete paralysis of the economy.
In a territory of about 30 square kilometers, Macau registered more than 2018 million tourists in 35 and almost 40 in 2019, but this year, until May, the number of visitors was only 3,2 million, less 81,1% than in the same period last year, in a territory whose economy is highly dependent on tourism.
On Monday, the latest revision of the University of Macau's macroeconomic forecasts pointed to a 54,5% to 60% drop in the territory's Gross Domestic Product this year.
On Friday, health services announced a new case of contagion from Covid-19, the first in the territory since April 09.
From June 17 until July 16, a special corridor between the territory and Hong Kong is open, to allow people trapped by the pandemic to return home.
In the past few days there have been an increasing number of flights for the repatriation of citizens from the Philippines, Nepal and Myanmar who have had their contracts canceled or not renewed.
Macau was one of the first territories to identify cases of infection with Covid-19, before the end of January.
The covid-19 pandemic has already claimed more than 502 deaths and infected more than 10,20 million people in 196 countries and territories, according to a report by the France-Presse news agency (AFP).
The disease is transmitted by a new coronavirus detected in late December in Wuhan, a city in central China. After Europe succeeded China as the center of the pandemic in February, the American continent is now the one with the most confirmed cases and the most deaths.