The TUI group, considered the largest tour operator in the world, returned to sell the destination Cape Verde, after months of suspension of air connections due to the covid-19 pandemic, foreseeing 14 programs with departures from the United Kingdom until January.
According to information from that tour operator, of these programs, whose length of stay and hotels varies, 11 are destined for the island of Sal, which will start in early December, and three for the island of Boa Vista, with departures essentially from London airports. and Manchester.
Almost 200 Britons visited Cape Verde in 2019, which is equivalent to almost a quarter of the historical record of 819.308 guests that the archipelago's hotels received last year, which increased 7% compared to 2018.
The TUI group (Travel Union Internacional), of German origin, has several hotels and resorts, of different segments, on the islands of Sal and Boa Vista.
The first of these programs of the TUI group, which includes air connection, local transport and accommodation, in the hotels of that tourist chain, is scheduled for December 07, bound for Sal, and the first for Boa Vista is scheduled for December 12.
The last of these programs that the TUI group has re-marketed to Cape Verde - after the suspension of international air connections on March 18, due to the covid-19 pandemic - is scheduled for January 12, for the island of Sal, from from Bristol.
Among those two tourist islands, only Sal counts active cases (4) of covid-19, while Boa Vista does not register any patient, according to official data from the Ministry of Health of 22 November.
In addition to requiring the presentation of negative tests to covid-19 for passengers on international flights at least 72 hours in advance, the Cape Verdean Government has also instituted the obligation to submit rapid, negative tests to the new coronavirus for passengers on connections (air and sea) to Sal and Boa Vista.
Those two islands concentrate the tourist activity in Cape Verde, which guarantees 25% of the GDP, through the promotion of the destination of sun and beach.
The Prime Minister of Cape Verde, Ulisses Correia e Silva, said earlier this month that the bet on the resumption of tourism in the archipelago initially passes through the islands of Sal and Boa Vista, then predicting the resumption of activity in the second half of December.
“We have been working directly with the main tour operators, there is already an offer for the coming to Cape Verde, of organized flights, and we hope that it will materialize. Everything should happen from December 15th, ”said Ulisses Correia e Silva, on November 02nd.
According to the executive's previous information, the first phase of the implementation of the Posi-Check guidelines for regional medical facilities was successfully completed, with the covid-19 intensive care centers and units at Hotel Sabura and Hospital having been certified and approved. Ramiro Figueira, both on the island of Sal.
Also certified by this international audit, conducted by the consultancy Intertek Cristal, were the new Health Center of Santa Maria (Sal) and the Clínica de Boa Esperança and Health Station, both in Boa Vista, these being the two main tourist islands of Cabo Green.
“An initiative of the Government of Cape Verde, the Posi-Check audit program was designed to meet current and future needs, in order to formulate and monitor an effective response to mitigate the spread of covid-19 in Cape Verde. The same represents an investment and a strong commitment to the creation of adequate sanitary conditions for the resumption of tourism in the country ”, pointed out the executive in a previous statement.
At the same time, the “Cabo Verde Turismo” certification program has been underway since June, which consists of preparing establishments linked to the sector and tourism sub-sectors, such as airports, ports, transfers, taxis, restaurants, travel and excursion agencies, companies car rental, casinos and others.
So far, around 500 establishments have participated in this certification program, almost 1.300 participants, on all the islands, so the Government believes that, with these measures, the “country is in conditions and prepared for the arrival of tourists”.